Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Foundation Anonymous Report

In July, which is 4 months ago now (hooray math skills!), I decided to stop using foundation, after being a 9-year junkie.

Here is a recent photo of me now, still with no foundation - I'm only wearing some minimal eye makeup, and a tinted lip balm.

Yes you can even click on it for a larger image, because I know you want a close-up of my pores

Having my 4-month chip has taught me a lot of things.

1. My foundation was actually a few shades too light for my skin tone 
On the few occasions I decided to wear foundation (eg. to parties etc), I realized that I looked like I had a kabuki mask on. NOT a good look. It's weird how I never noticed this before.. I guess living in foundation, I  must have thought the kabuki mask was how my face naturally looked.

2. The difference between hormonal and environment caused pimples 
I can spot them now! I only get hormonal pimples now, and I know when I will get them. Recently, I trialled a few new beauty products and got different looking breakouts... they were more clustered, and were smaller.

3. All those little bumps on my skin were foundation caused 
I used to have tiny little bumps on my skin. They were not obvious, and always seemed to be there, so I just thought my skin was rough. They are now gone!

4. My face goes red when I drink alcohol 
This never used to happen. I guess the foundation masked it somewhat.

5. My face flushes/blushes easily 
When it's hot, my face goes bright pink. Also never used to happen.

6. I'm noticing more signs of aging now 
I guess I just never cared about signs of aging because I'd just slap some foundation on. I'm now noticing a difference in my skin texture... it's bugging me a little, but hey, we all have to grow old right?

7. I'm taking better care of my skin 
No foundation means the skin you wear is well... the skin you wear.

8. It was a huge self-journey
Part of the reason why I wore foundation everyday was self-esteem issues. Having to not wear it meant combatting these issues, and now, I'm quite comfortable going barefaced.


/end report

If you've already tried going foundation-free, I would love to read about your experience. And if not, would you?

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a brave thing to do for four months!! I am very pale but get a lot of redness ad I feel very self conscious without foundation. I go makeup free once or twice a week but that's all, I should really try giving my skin a break for a couple of weeks over the Christmas holidays, now that I see the potential benefits! Great blog :)
    Catn2kittens >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine, I used to have acne, which is why I found it difficult to live without foundation. Then, I had those skin bumps, and pigmentation, and redness. I think it takes time for your skin to settle after giving up foundation, and it takes awhile for yourself to accept it too and get used to seeing your face without it. Hope you give it a try, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. I've been wearing a lot less makeup, including foundation, lately too, and I can also see a big difference in my skin - it is no longer as clogged up, and I guess feels less greasy as it can now breathe more easily. However, I will continue to wear foundation when Im going out as it does make me feel much more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my skin is definitely less greasy! So far I've worn foundation when going out, but I think I will stop that too... I always regret how I look with foundation on :-/ oh except that it gives that dewy effect, which I love.

      Delete
  3. Well done! Foundation is the one make up product I almost always avoid! You have such gorgeous skin, I don't know why you would want to cover it up? I should REALLY give up undereye concealer though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I used to have acne, and still get breakouts which was why I felt really self-conscious. If you wanted to give up concealer, maybe start in baby steps? I don't have bad dark circles so I haven't needed to use concealer. x

      Delete
  4. Wow! You are so brave!! I only wear foundation when I'm going somewhere important, and my skin is a lot better than when I used to wear it every day. You have wonderful skin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. While you're young, I think you should cut down on foundation. I really do think it clogs up your skin somewhat, even if you don't realize it! Glad to hear your skin is better xx

      Delete
  5. Your skin looks great without foundation :D I wouldn't see why you'd need it.

    I generally don't wear foundation, only BB creams or tinted moisturizers once or twice a fortnight (less so far). Just... don't like it.

    I know a lot of people who think a natural blush is beautiful, and in some cases they think it's sexy ;) So even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks gs. I tried BB creams (mainly Asian, and that Rimmel one). The Asian ones are too heavy and ashy, and the Rimmel one broke me out :S I have a Nivea tinted moisturiser that I sort of love, but if I use it too often it breaks me out too lol.

      I think a slight natural blush is sexy :P but when you're as red as a tomato, that's perhaps a different story lol.

      Delete
  6. Crongrats. Glad you feel comfortable in your own skin. I only ever wear foundation when I go out for drink. I love a bare face, I feel cleaner, lighter and that my face can actually breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to love having a bare face too! I've never known the concept of having skin that breathes, until I stopped wearing foundation. Thanks for stopping by Madi x

      Delete
  7. Your skin looks amazing, so clear and healthy! I've cut back on using foundation in recent months, if I'm not going anywhere on the weekends or just getting some groceries then I don't bother wearing any makeup.

    In the hotter months I find my makeup sweats off very quickly so I don't usually bother with foundation then either. Oh and like you, my face flushes pink when it's hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Mia! I haven't not worn foundation in the hotter months yet (this summer will be my first). I have huge pores in the hotter months so we'll see how my skin copes!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the heads up Sophie, I have entered. xx

    ReplyDelete