Thursday, July 25, 2013

When you wake up feeling a little blergh

You know when you're about to hit that day... it begins when you repeatedly hit snooze on your alarm clock, interspersed with groans as you curse the arrival of daylight (and not because it makes you a sparkly vampire). It's the day that everything's gone wrong... your breakfast burns, you miss the bus and are late to work, nothing seems to go right. Everyone has these days, and so do I.

What then do we do when we're just feeling a little icky, dull and irritable?

(Source)


When I have such a day, I like to

do as little as possible. 

That's right... I schedule a little off day and reduce all the activities I've had planned. If I'm not having a good day, chances are I'm not going to enjoy my run, or that I won't feel like cooking, cleaning... and forcing myself will just make my day so much worse. Sometimes, it's better to let things be. You know what your body needs, and if it's a day off from routine, so be it!

do a little yoga or meditation or both. 

While I cut down on anything intense and heavy, some restorative yoga always helps to calm and centre me a little. Focussing on breath just helps me put everything else out of my mind, and when you're having a crappy day, there's nothing worse than having your mind burdened by everything that's gone wrong!

read/ look at something that makes me smile. 

Reddit /aww. Need I say more? Just have a quick browse and tell me is your day not better already?

brighten up the house. 

Open windows, blinds, make sure the sun is streaming into your home. Nothing feeds a bad mood more than bad lighting.


When I have such a day, I also try not to

take it out on others. 

So easy to do. I always take a few deep breaths if something's irking me, especially if I know I'm in a bit of a mood. Nothing makes me feel more guilty than snapping at an unfortunate friend/family member just because I'm having an off day.

sink too much into it. 

It's easy to indulge in the mood and get sucked into feeling sorry for yourself. I have on many occasions played Brand New and Tori Amos on my media player non-stop while browsing PostSecret to actively make me sadder! (I know, I'm an emo kid!)

What do you do when you have an 'off' day? 

8 comments:

  1. I read a book, listen to music and paint my nails! Opening up the blinds also helps! And so does going for a walk :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm not feeling too bad, going for a walk also helps :) But anything that requires concentration like reading goes out the door for me! xx

      Delete
  2. LOL, I pretty much do what you do! Sometimes distractions work, I might watch something I love watching on TV, or play with makeup...exercising my creativity helps.

    I also like to hang out with friends or spend time with my little nephews, it's a great pick me up and no one can be sad around little kids. :)

    Haha, Roxette used to be my choice of Emo music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Roxette!!! Roxette used to make me very happy haha they had such upbeat tunes :D

      Delete
  3. I had that kinda day today. I woke up feeling blergh but I think it's mainly coz I might be catching a cold... anyway I stayed at home today, had lots of naps, watched some tv show and just chilled out at home.

    PS: I have nominated your for the Liebster Blog Award. Check out my post here for the questions: http://inabeautyworld.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    Looking forward to see your response!

    - Ina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina!

      Aww you poor thing, hope you feel better soon x

      Delete
  4. I think I'm channeling you! My blogpost next week is on the topic of waking up stuck. I like how you give yourself a break when you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to that blog post Anne! Great minds :)

      Delete